
Wikipedia is a resource that I'm sure I have begun to take for granted. I generally view it with the same healthy scepticism as I do other sources of information - though I wouldn't cite it and I would seek verification from something authoritative for any important information requirements. For me, though, Wikipedia usefully fills an information gap - it tends to give me instant answers that are usually right to questions that I don't *need* answering. I don't tend to contribute, but the people I know who do tend towards the fastidious or the mischievous in equal measure. Perhaps looking at the editing history of an entry would help me decide whether or not it is to be trusted - that's something I'll explore further. What worries me most is students citing it without realising why they shouldn't; they don't seem to understand the distinction, for all that we (and, presumably, their tutors) try to explain the importance of authoritative sources.
No comments:
Post a Comment